Devops / Site Reliability Engineer
- 3 Yarra Street, Abbotsford VIC 3067 (Flexible)
We’re looking for a driven SRE with excellent communication skills to join our all-star development team. It’s a Devops focussed role, but we’re a company of full-stack developers, so you’ll need to be willing to occasionally interact with the backend/frontend too.
You’ll be working with an amazing team of people who care about their job and enjoy coming to work in a fast paced dog-friendly “scaleup” environment.
What you’ll need to do
To succeed in this role a candidate must be able to:
- Apply professional software design principles. The professional programmer knows that it is not enough to just build solutions. To survive the test of time software needs to be designed well. We expect you to be able to leverage design principles and build “crafted” software that’s easy to maintain.
- Identify and tackle most impactful areas of improvement. The ability to determine and rank performance bottlenecks, SPOFs, and other risks is almost as important as building the solutions required to fix them. You are invited to develop tools that can help provide the visibility to make these decisions.
- Be a specialised generalist. We anticipate that you’ll have a domain or two that you consider to be your areas of expertise, and a number of auxiliary areas you are competent with, and eager to explore.
- Utilise tooling to improve operations. Expertise in getting the most of your toolset is a must, and a willingness to explore new tools is essential.
What you’ll need to bring
To qualify for this role you’ll need to have:
- 4+ years with OO Python, ideally with 2+ years in a web context (eg Django).
- 3+ years with AWS, paired with Terraform IAC.
- 2+ years with Kubernetes, ideally also AWS EKS. You should feel comfortable feeling your way around a k8s cluster, and have bag of tricks on how to go about diagnosing issues.
- Experience working at a startup / scaleup.
Who you’ll need to be
We’re looking for people who:
- Love continuously learning and upskilling.
- Embody the right ethos - we want people who contribute to open source, build stuff in their spare time, and just love tech.
- Are creative yet systematic - you will be expected to take a brief and follow best practices and conventions to produce well thought-out code.
- Are passionate problem solvers - you will be required to work across all parts of the company to solve customer problems and deliver business value.
- Have a team-player attitude - we work together here and there are no lone wolves. You’ll need to be fun, friendly and dynamic!
- Are dog friendly.
Uptick is Australia's fastest-growing provider of field-servicing software for building compliance. Their all-in-one asset maintenance solution allows service providers to manage their mobile workforce, maintain customer assets and report on compliance, ultimately to improve building safety, reduce admin costs and improve efficiencies.
Uptick was founded in 2014 by Aidan Lister when he saw a significant modernisation opportunity to improve the way buildings are maintained. His belief is that if Uptick improves the visibility of maintenance and compliance, they can improve the safety of billions of buildings, create huge efficiency and ultimately protect lives. The success of his vision has been undergirded by the quality of Uptick's SaaS offering which is now used to maintain over 25% of Australian commercial and multi-storey residential buildings, by field servicing companies performing critical asset maintenance.
Uptick currently has 200+ customers and a 99% retention rate. Over 450,000+ buildings and millions of assets are maintained using Uptick's software every year. With a growth rate near 90% they are targeting international expansion into the NZ and UK markets. The US and Canada markets represent a further medium-term growth opportunity.
The business recently received a significant investment round from Accel-KKR. This investment and partnership will enable Uptick to fuel their international expansion, grow their customer success capabilities and accelerate their ambitious product roadmap. This marks Uptick's fourth funding round - early investors include Australia investment firms such as Folklore Ventures and Equity Venture Partners.